The Board of Investment of Sri Lanka, structured to function as the central facilitation point for investors, is also responsible for permitting Imports and Exports of projects under section 17 of the BOI law as well as providing other investor related services. These facilities are provided by the Investor Services Department of the BOI. If you are looking for information regarding investing in Sri Lanka please contact, the Investor Facilitation Center.
Services Offered by the Investor Services Department
- Processing and Approving Import / Export Documents
- Examination of Import / Export Cargo
- Issue of Certificates of Origin for Apparel and Textile products
- Approval for Subcontracts, Transfers, Loans of raw material
- Re-Import and Re-Export of Items
- Recommendations to the Controller General of Immigration & Emigration for issue of expatriate visas (Only for the Enterprises located in the Zones)
- Indirect Export
- Web Submission
- Other Investor related approvals
As an investor, undoubtedly you will be interested in finding out the procedure pertaining to investor related activities handled by this Department. To provide the above-mentioned services, the BOI has Investor Service Centers located at;
- The Colombo Office – Level 06, West Tower, World Trade Center, Echelon Square, Colombo 01
- Export Processing Zone Katunayake
- Export Processing Zone Biyagama
- Export Processing Zone Koggala and
- Kandy Industrial Park – Pallekale
After signing the agreement with the BOI, to obtain the relevant services from one of the above centres, you should first register with the respective Investor Service Centre.
Registration with the Investor Services Department
- BOI – agreement (Original)
- BOI – Investment approval letter (Original)
- VAT / TIN Certificate (original)
- List of items approved by the Investment Department to be imported by the enterprise
- BOI Registration Certificate (original)
- List of authorized signatories approved to sign import/export cusdecs (names, designations, NIC/Passport numbers and signatures of three personnel) – 02 originals certified by the Chairman / Managing Director of the enterprise
- A certified copy of Form 48, Form 1 sent to the Registrar of Companies
- A certified copy of Form 2A (Certificate of Incorporation)
The relevant application form 45/FO/IS/31 could be downloaded for this purpose.
After registration with the IS Department you are also required to register with the ADP Unit of Sri Lanka Customs as per the FORM FOR THE REGISTRATION OF IMPORTERS & EXPORTERS IN TERMS OF SECTION 115 OF THE CUSTOMS ORDINANCE. You are required to register as a declarant with Sri Lanka Customs if you propose to affect your own Imports/Exports without utilizing the services of a clearing agent using the URL below.
Once registered with the Investor services Department, you are eligible to obtain services as per the agreement signed with the BOI.
In line with the ASYCUDAWORLD system, registration in the Investor Services Department under Import Export Monitoring System (IEMS) for the purpose of payment of BOI service charges for import/export and other services is requested.
Also you are required to open a prepaid account with the Investor Services Department of BOI, by you or your clearing agent (Declarant) for the purposes given below.
- Registration of details of your enterprise and contact persons in to IEMS system of BOI.
- Registration of user account for declarant portal.