Sri Lanka enjoys a unique advantage through its location on a key East-West trade route while being on the doorstep of India, which is the largest economy in this part of the world. Already an important transshipment hub in the region, many shipping companies consolidate cargo and ship to other destinations out of Colombo Port which is Sri Lanka’s major container port on the West Coast.
Sri Lanka is keen to further develop its logistics sector, by attracting further investments in integrated and high value-added services to international trading and transporting companies.
- 75% of total container throughput volume is from transhipment.
- Fastest growing port among major ports of the world.
- 11th best connected port in the world of shipping.
- Colombo port handled record-breaking 7mn TEUs in 2018
- Able to cater to latest ‘Triple E Class’ ships